새해 복 많이 받으세요!! Happy New Year!!Donghee and I decided to celebrate Lunar New Year by making tteokguk (rice cake soup). Tteokguk is traditionally eaten for Lunar New Year. It is one of my favorite Korean soups! Here’s how we made it.
1 lb Rice cakes (thin oval-shaped kind)
1/4 lb Ground beef
2 spoons Dashida (beef flavored soup stock)
3-4 Spring onions chopped
Dried seaweed for garnish
1. Soak the rice cakes in a pot of cold water for about 30 minutes.
2. While rice cakes are soaking, brown the ground beef in a pan. Drain the fat.
4. Fill the pot again with water about an inch above the rice cakes and bring to a boil.
5. Stir in the dashida. Cook for a few minutes, skimming off the foam as it forms on the surface.
7. Add spring onion and beef. Top with seaweed and serve.